What is the Difference Between Used and Certified Pre-Owned?
If you’re looking for a pre-owned vehicle and aren’t sure what the difference is between CPO vs. used vehicles, you aren’t alone. While both Certified Pre-Owned vehicles and used vehicles are both “used” there are important distinctions between the two categories. Before you head out to buy your next pre-owned vehicle in Kansas City, explore the difference between these two categories of used cars below.
What to Know About Buying a Used Car
Used vehicles have been owned and operated by other individuals. They can vary in the model year, mileage, condition, and the number of previous owners. This leads them to be priced lower than both new vehicles and certified pre-owned vehicles. You can even find vehicles priced under $12k at our showroom near Independence.
While purchasing a car with higher mileage may seem like a risk, many cars today are being built to last well beyond 100,000 miles. Even so, remember:
- You will want to thoroughly inspect any used vehicle you’re considering and take it for a test drive before making an offer
- Make sure to address any vehicle condition or performance issues that arise, to ensure the vehicle is fit for your needs and safe to drive
- Some cars and SUVs can last more than 200,000 miles with proper care and maintenance
What to Know About Buying a CPO Car
Certified pre-owned vehicles are part of a CPO program have certain requirements that must be met. These requirements include:
- Model year is usually within five years of the current model year
- Generally, the vehicle has less than 80,000, or sometimes 100,000 miles on it
- Has passed an intensive multi-point inspection
CPO models typically come at a higher price than used cars, but they’re still more affordable than a new car. If you’re looking for more updated features for your Lee's Summit commutes, then you might want to buy a certified pre-owned vehicle.
In addition to passing an intensive inspection, Certified Pre-Owned vehicles are often backed by warranties and other services, including:
- Certified Pre-Owned Limited Powertrain Warranty
- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance
- Towing/Rental/Travel Breakdown Coverage
- Free CARFAX® Report on vehicle history
Shop for Pre-Owned Vehicles at Cable Dahmer Auto Group
Now that we’ve answered, “What is the difference between used and certified pre-owned?”, it’s time to explore our CPO and used vehicles for sale. Not sure which to choose? Learn more about the Buick Enclave gas mileage, compare the GMC Yukon vs. Chevy Tahoe or Kia Sorento vs. Ford Edge, and more! Make sure you check out our pre-owned specials as well to get an even better deal on a used model.
Cable Dahmer Auto Group Used Vehicle Specials